Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Tune in Tokyo: The Gaijin Diaries by Tim Anderson

Tune in Tokyo: The Gaijin DiariesTune in Tokyo: The Gaijin Diaries by Tim Anderson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A great engaging fun book, I'd recommend it to anyone the least bit curious about Tokyo or living abroad.
The author relocates to Tokyo for two years and madcap adventures ensue.
I felt the book worked best when the humour was inherent in the situation, such as the crazy drunk roommate, the other teachers giving a definition of "broke" as when something falls and cracks, and his partner was presented as hysterical. These parts were all perfect.

Working less well was the forced comedy, such as the anime characters taking over the world, and for me I wasn't that interested in the music aspects of the book.

These are minor complaints, there really is something in here for everyone. A great book for a nice price from a funny author, pick it up.

View all my reviews

No comments: