Thursday, May 26, 2011

Fred Herzog - Vancouver

I went to the Scotiabank Contact Photography Festival on the weekend to see Fred Herzog's exhibition Vancouver. It was a great display of photographs of Vancouver from when he first emmigrated to Canada in the fifties.




It got me thinking what a great idea it would be to do something similar for Toronto.  I was thinking of taking stills of the city and then saving them for 40 years or of creating something called "Toronto 2011" like a book and then as time passed the images could look more and more dated, which is real the appeal of the Herzog photos. 
As I was riding back from the exhibition on the streetcar I took some photos out the window.  This gave me an opportunity to shoot people in their element without having to explain to them why I was taking their photo.  The only drawback was you had to move quickly!
What kind of things photograhped now will look dated in 40 or 50 years time?
Here's some shots of mine:





* Update.  Every shot of Herzog's has face.  That's what mine is missing.  Will try again.

No comments: