Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Dirty White Boy: Tales of Soho by Clayton Littlewood

Dirty White Boy: Tales of SohoDirty White Boy: Tales of Soho by Clayton Littlewood
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A charming, wonderful book about the residents of Soho.
I think what makes this book so great is the author's keen eye for detail and noticing others. It's something I couldn't do, and I doubt many people could. He makes the ordinary extraordinary and has an eye for getting the real stories under the surface. People on the fringes of society have their stories told with a grace and charm that the reader will find infectious.
I also really liked the diary entry style, perfect for the modern person on the go. You can read a few paragraphs and take a break for life without feeling like you're losing your place.
'"You write a diary for the whole world to see? Who do you think you are? Anne bleedin' Frank?"'
Littlewood's dry British wit had me laughing out loud:
'"Can I help you with a size at all, gentlemen?" ...they both look round in horror and stare at me as though the potted plant had just come to life.'
A fresh new perspective I've never read before, the shop assistant/owner, and a wonderful read. As soon as I finished it I started the sequel.

View all my reviews

No comments: