Friday, November 1, 2013

Kapitoil by Teddy Wayne

Kapitoil by Teddy Wayne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was good, not great. I enjoyed it enough.
I read this book as I really enjoyed Wayne's second book, The Love Song of Jonny Valentine, and wanted to read something else by him. This book is written in a very similar style, but here it's taken a little too far, where the main character almost presents as autistic or is somewhere on that spectrum.

Wayne writes well with lots of emotion and feeling, never afraid to tug at the heart strings and be accused of being sentimental. It's an enjoyable journey through the life of a newly landed immigrant and as I say, I enjoyed the story, but it was just missing that little something. Perhaps relatability? I have little in common with a nerdy computer programmer with Qatar living in America, but the logic behind his thinking processes is presented so heavily that it was hard at times to care or be heavily invested in him.

Recommended, but with a small r.

View all my reviews

No comments: