Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Paris Partie Trois

Another great day.
I got up about 8 and went to get us coffee and tea and 2 chocolate croissants. These are of course to die for, and we need more French pastries in Toronto.
We then went off to the Catacombs. It was about a quarter of a mile down and then a mile of tunnels under the ground. There are more bones there than you can imagine. Millions. Everyone was buried there to keep disease away from everyone else. Even the guy who wrote all the mother goose books and Cinderalla, his bones are chucked into one of the piles. It really reminded you of your humanity.
When we left the guy checked my bag to see if I had stolen any bones. I don't want to touch those things, what am I going to take one home for?
Then we went to the Musee d'Orsay. It was okay, it didn't really rock my world. The building was quite nice and the centrepiece of the building was a statue gallery which was also quite nice. The building is an old train station.
I wanted to move pretty quickly through there as classic art doesn't do much for me. I liked one statue, that's all I really remember.
Afterward, we went to les Invalides, which is shut. It's where Napoleon had his army.
In behind is his tomb, which was open and was STUNNING.
His coffin is huge:

each of his family members has a seperate room, he has a huge chapel.
It's the biggest building you can see from the Eifel Tower, it's massive.
Afterward I recognized a spot from the boat tour where they said Princess Diana had died and people left flowers. I asked someone how far away it was and she said a 40 minute walk, so we gave that up as we still hadn't been to the top of the Eiffel Tower.
Now I have.
The sign advertised a 45 minute wait to get to the top but it was only about 10 minutes. It's super high up, but the pictures don't really look that different from the lower levels.
Dinner was pizza and good, then the internet cafe, where I tried to call my mom again, and AGAIN got her voicemail! Busy woman!
Then I posted yesterday's blog so I'm a day behind. Tomorrow is my last day en Paris, so I want to see the Opera house with the Phantom of the Opera and the Louvre, and Centre Pompideau. The time has flown by so quickly here I can't believe it.

No comments: