Monday, September 28, 2009

Fall Theatre

For some reason there's no theatre in Toronto over the summer. This may be changing with DanCap's announcement to bring a revival of South Pacific next summer.
As a result there's a huge influx of theatre opening now. I looked to Eye's latest issue, the fall theatre preview, and found NOTHING useful. They had info on one show, that was the preview. So I'm presenting my (better) version.
October 1 it all begins for me with Jerry Springer: The Musical. I saw this show last year and loved it. It's a can't lose experience.

October 4 is Brad Frasier's True Love Lies. Frasier is a Canadian gay institution and I've never seen anything he's done so I'm looking forward to it. I'm not sure what it will be like, this performance is PWYC.

October 6 I'm seeing the Andrew Lloyd Webber/Ben Elton musical The Boys in the Photograph. The Star review doesn't fill me with anticipation though.

Oct 8 is Altar Boyz. The Star has a great review and this looks to be good fun, even if it is in North York.

A little break for Thansgiving and Oct 16 has Mimi, Or A Poisioner's Comedy. This is part of my season subscription to the Taragon Theatre and has been moved. I was supposed to go earlier but I was sick for weeks with the flu.

Oct 27 has Toxic Avenger: The Musical. Looking forward to seeing the re-vamped Music Hall.
Oct 29, I can't wait for the double bill of Debbie Does Dallas: The Musical and Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Hedwig is one of my favourite movies of all time and I've always wanted to see the play.

Nov 5 brings the 2008 Tony Award winner for best play August: Osage County. 2 intermissions???

Nov 6 is the second Taragon show, Rocking the Cradle.

Nov 11 is the Fringe hit My Mother's Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding. Sounds good and $20 is a great deal.

Finally, on Nov 15 Buddies has the one show of the year I actually wanted to see in their "all women" season, The Silicone Diaries.

I've included the dates I'm going if anyone wants to come with.

And THAT, Eye Weekly, is a fall theatre preview!

No comments: