Friday, July 22, 2011

New York, September 2011

Getting excited, lots of fun stuff to see in New York!

Wed Aug 31
- arrive via Porter at 13:00
- staying at the Vanderbilt YMCA
- the Museum of Sex is having an exhibition on Justin Spring's Obscene Diary which I must see! I found a coupon for $3 off the $17.50 admission and the museum is open until 8 pm.
- I will likely want to see the above right away and can continue down to The Strand Bookstore and The Stonewall Inn
- if time permits I could even continue down further to the Taschen New York Store and the Leslie/Lohman Gay Art Foundation which is only open noon-6 pm so I better make contingency plans. It says they have a new exhibition opening Sept 1 anyway.  Watch me wait to go to it and it's something lesbian.
- also the Keith Haring bathroom on the 2nd floor of the LGBT center

Thurs Sept 1
- the Leslie/Lohman Gay Art Foundation which is only open noon-6 pm and the above stuff I don't get time for
- 7 pm, Daniel Radcliffe in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying

Fri Sept 2
- I want to see the Roosevelt Island Tramway. The entrance to it is really close to my hotel.  The question is then of course what to do on Roosevelt Island? I suppose walk around and find out.
- There's a NYC transit museum that looks great.  $7 to get in, open Tues-Fri 10-4.  It's located in a dis-used subway station.

Sat Sept 3
- 8 pm, had a ticket to My Big Gay Italian Wedding which just announced it's closing on Aug 20 so I got a refund. I think I'll go see Priscilla instead. There seems to be some good discounts on tickets at Givenik. In fact I found a ticket in the third row there right beside the premium level seats for $95.

Sun Sept 4
- The Tenement Museum looks amazing. Open 10 to 6.
- 7 pm, There's an off-Broadway play called "Tricks the Devil Taught Me" I may go see with discount tickets here for $45.  I'll have to read more about it first.

Mon Sept 5
- 11 am, I have been near it but I can actually go to Ellis Island and see the Statue of Liberty. Only 240 people per day are allowed to go up and see the crown area and these tickets are of course sold out until Hell freezes over so that's out.  Turns out only 3000 people per day can even go to the base so I bought that now from State Cruises.
- 8 pm, Going to see Avenue Q off-Broadway

Tues Sept 6
- The Forbes Galleries have some cool stuff hoarded by the founder of Forbes magazine including old Monopoly boards and the glasses Lincoln was wearing when he was shot. And it's free! 10 am-4 pm.
- 7 pm, The Book of Mormon, NYC's hottest show

Wed Sept 7
- my place is right beside the UN Building so I must go. $16 admission and a 30-45 minute security check both sound great (NOT!), it's open 9-5:30 pm.

Thurs Sept 8
- flying back, arriving in Toronto at 2:25 pm

No comments: