Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The RoadThe Road by Cormac McCarthy
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this book for my book club. I knew two things going in, one that is had placed first in Entertainment Weekly's top 100 reads of the last 25 years and secondly I had heard by word of mouth the book was "dire".

I started the book last night, paused only to sleep, and finished it this morning. The book is an excellent read and you are unable to put it down once you start.

Sparse prose in a sparse world, the simplicity of the story is the hook. The journey you embark on with the main characters is so harrowing you can't look away.

Themes of the book reminded me of Steinbeck's East of Eden, the essence of humanity is laid bare, stripped to it's foundations, and consequently we think of life, of purpose, of our place in the world. A specific story made universal and something I'll carry with me always.

View all my reviews

No comments: