Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes #1) by Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The last line of the book is in Latin, and the edition I read helpfully had no translation. Looking it up on Google, I got:
The quotation is from Horace, Book 1, Satire 1.
"The public hisses at me, but I applaude myself in my own house, and simultaneously contemplate the money in my chest."

The book wasn't really what I was expecting. I had glanced at some previous reviews and saw the Mormons, yet I wasn't expecting half the book to be Mormons and Bringham Young to be a character in the plot!

The book starts off well, with Holmes and Watson setting up their relationship for the ages and tales of horse drawn carriage chases in Victorian London. In part two the believability slips a little, for example I doubt many people in their teens die from a broken heart. But at the same time I keep in mind Conan Doyle's writing in 1860 didn't have the internet or such things to learn about Mormonism, and I think he did a good job. I thought part two was interesting and didn't lose focus.

My previous experience with this story had been the BBC version of it in "Sherlock", and I must say they took some liberties!

I enjoyed it, will read another.

View all my reviews

No comments: