Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Nana's Banana Bread

Thanks in part to my appearance on this week's Caker Cooking Blog, I present a recipe of my grandmother's.  The recipe card is wearing away with age and use and hard to read so I also want to write it down.  At the top it says "Jean Lawson (good)", so I assume it's good.  Actually it's excellent.

I'm presenting it with my updated 2013 version I use now, with the original ingredients in italics if you're a purist. Or if you still cook with lard.

I like this recipe as it's not too heavy and dark like many banana breads.


Healthy Dark Chocolate Banana Muffins (originally Banana Loaf Cake)

1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine (originally shortening)
2 eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour (originally white flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup Splenda (originally sugar)
4 mashed bananas (originally 2)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup vanilla soy milk (originally milk)
1 cup dark chocolate chips (not in original)

- Cream margarine and sugar
- Add eggs and baking soda
- Stir in bananas and everything else.

Bake in large muffin cups, 18 min at 350 degrees. Muffins will not brown as there's no sugar, so they should be firm.

Original recipe says to cook in a loaf pan for 40 min at 350 but every time I ever made it, it took longer than that.

No comments: