Sunday, April 21, 2013

Work: A Celebration of One of the Four Basic Guilt Groups by Cathy Guisewite

Work: A Celebration of One of the Four Basic Guilt Groups by Cathy Guisewite
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I remember well reading Cathy growing up like all the other 16 year old boys. I remember long afternoons reading Cathy comics and Erma Bombeck. What, no other 16 year old boys did that? Just me? Okay.

Anyway, I also remember in my early 20's reading Cathy as a stress reliever. I hadn't read any since.

I enjoyed going back for a walk down memory lane. One of my favourite things with Cathy is the Hobson's Choice scenarios, like when she can choose to get a small raise which will put her in the next tax bracket and make her lose money, or get no cost of living raise at all and lose money. So many options! Or when she's trying on a bathing suit and can either hide the fat and have people guess how much she's hiding or show the fat and have people know what she wants to hide. Never a good option.

There's less of that in here as this book focuses just on work. It's still amusing but I think Cathy works better with the fully rounded woman, not just one side.

A good thing is the comics here are reformatted for easy reading on an e reader. The comics are surrounded by brief informative essays from Guisewite on how the office changed from the 70's to today.

I enjoyed the book a lot but when it was done I wasn't looking for more.

View all my reviews

No comments: