Friday, August 24, 2012

Firefly Summer by Maeve Binchy

Firefly SummerFirefly Summer by Maeve Binchy
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Classic Binchy and a great slice of Irish small town life.

Reading a Maeve Binchy book is like sitting down with an old friend over a cup of tea and I was saddened to hear of her recent passing. Although I had read this book previously, it was long enough ago that I forgot most of it.

Like the best of her books, this one is thick and yet goes down as easily as pie, the length is what makes it good, and you never want it to end. The UK version is over 900 pages and I've seen reviews saying it needs a sequel.

I don't think it does, the book ends at an appropriate point. Binchy is possibly the best storyteller of all time, she can weave a complex story like she's knitting a scarf and I was so caught up in the story I was racing at the end, not wanting the book to be over but not able to wait any longer to find out what happens, I wouldn't have stopped for the world ending.

This is what good fiction does, gives you a story, draws you in, and won't let go and Binchy is at the height of her powers with this novel.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

Ruined Map said...

Hello,

Are you the same person who was uploading gay ebooks to Demonoid?

If so, do you plan to continue uploading books to another torrent site?

If not, I am glad I have found your blog regardless, and would enjoy an answer from you.

dunnadam said...

Yes, it's me. I post all my gay books on gaytorrent.ru