Friday, August 10, 2012

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone GirlGone Girl by Gillian Flynn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this book as it's burning up the charts and I was told full of twists and turns. I was led to believe for some reason it was "wet-your-pants" good. Well, it's good, but my pants are still dry.

The book is almost two different books, and I liked the first one better. The first one is a thriller but it's one written in a style I haven't seen before, a thriller written like fiction, with believable people and realistic situations. When Amy goes missing, is her husband to blame? The first half recreates their marriage and some of the situations brought forward I was wondering myself how to handle them, I was talking to friends about it, to myself. A smooth writing style and flow led me along like a river.

The second half is as I said a different book. The relateability and believability of the characters gone, you're left with a different story. I was jarred. Some of the moments reminded me of "The Lost Memory of Skin" by Russell Banks. Then credulity was strained a little too far, then it was over. To the book's credit, I kept thinking I knew how it was going to end and it didn't, there was a different than expected ending, and I can see it being divisive but I liked it.

View all my reviews

No comments: