Friday, May 10, 2013

Alaska cruise!

Wed July 17 - leave Toronto Pearson at 8:25 pm.  Arrive Seattle at 10:40 pm.

I am staying at the Green Tortise Hostel which is in the fish market.

Hopefully it won't smell like fish!

Seattle
Thurs - Henry Art Galley has 2 really cool photo exhibits on now, also Chihuly Garden and Glass
Fri -  start the day at the Columbia Center Sky View Observatory, lunch in Chinatown, afternoon at the Pinball museum!, evening watching Hairpray the movie in the park at 8:30
Sat - Art Museum, wall of gum, Pike Market and 8-bit Video Game theatre festival at the local gay bar at 7

Cruise leaves Seattle at 4 pm on Sun July 21. Returns to Seattle on Sun July 28 at 7 a.m.
I'm going to see my brother Arthur in Jasper when I come back. I can't get to the train on time, so I'll be taking the Greyhound to Vancouver.  :(  Bus leaves at 2:10 pm, arrives in Vancouver at 6:20 pm.

The train leaves at 8:30 pm from the same place the bus drops off, so far so good, and gets in the next day at 4 pm.  The next day!  Sitting up is $175.35, sleeper car is $450.  It's a big difference, but I like the idea of sleeping the whole way.   I'm booking the cheap one but will let you know.  Maybe I can upgrade on board if I want to?

In Jasper for July 29-31, staying at the Athabasca Hotel.

The train from Jasper to Calgary is like $125, and the bus is like $50, but the bus leaves at 6 am!  Fun!  So train it is.  Leaving Jasper Wed July 31 at 5:30 pm, arriving Edmonton at 11 pm.

In Edmonton I'll be staying at Hosteling International Edmonton.

Edmonton
Thurs - the West Edmonton Mall sounds far
- there is really little to do here!  There's a gay restaurant/coffee shop called Bistro 112 in downtown Edmonton, I could walk around downtown. 
Fri - the Art Gallery of Alberta is right beside the Greyhound at opens at 11, so I'd have a couple hours there
Leave at 2 pm!

Then leaving there to go to Calgary on Aug 2.  Running a tight ship!

Bus leaves 2 pm, arrives Calgary 5:50 pm.

Staying at the Wicked Hostel which is hopefully not flooded.

Calgary
What is there that's open after the flooding!  Oh, nothing!
Fri - arrive at 7.
Sat - Calgary Tower is the 3rd highest structure in Calgary! Open 9 to 9
Also this Wonderland sculpture looks good
Also the Devonian Gardens looks good!

Flight leaves Calgary at 9:45 am on Aug 4 and FINALLY home at 3:30 pm!

No comments: