Monday, February 16, 2009

England recap

Today I spent some time checking out cruises. There's a couple that look good, one to Alaska in August. This one is with the other gay cruise company, less parties and more cooking classes. I am trying not to go away in 2009, saving money for a down payment. So far I've just managed to pay some bills - what fun is that?
I was thinking of places I still want to visit and was thinking about maybe returning back to England for a tour of the UK, and a part of me was thinking how nice it would be to be able to see London again for the first time. So, thanks to the miracle of technology, I can share the photos here!
I started this blog in June 2007 and went to England in April 2007 so I don't think these have been posted here. It was so cool to go through all the photos again, it's like I was there again seeing it for the first time.
I got off the tube in Picadilly Circus and saw a HUGE like 50 foot high Equus sign, which is why I had gone, so I walked over to that with my bag.

This turned out to be in error as my hostel was right beside the tube. I spent the next 90 minutes looking around for it.
My room wasn't ready, and it was raining. I got this shot of me in front of the back side of Picadilly Circus.

I remember that night I was really tired with jet lag. I went to see Mary Poppins and fell asleep.
The next day I took a bus tour and we stopped at St. Paul's Cathedral:

This was a real highlight. I loved it.
Princess Diana was married here:

And in Mary Poppins, the "Feed the Birds" song starts out "Early each day, to the steps of St. Paul's, the little old bird woman comes". So I had to get a shot of me on the steps.

I remember I was singing that song the whole time. I seem to remember other trips where I sang a certain song the whole time - what the heck were they? I remember in Montreal with my mom we stayed on Dominique St. and the whole time I was singing "Dominique-nique-nique". I can't seem to remember anymore.
I remember I took this photo from the tour bus, the guy said they put it up to remind them of the times when people would be impaled on spikes in the centre of town.

I love looking back and I can remember why I took almost every photo.
This is the Tower of London:

Now I think I must have been new or something. Why did I not get a good photo of the FRONT of the Tower of London or the FRONT of Picadilly Circus? I seem to remember trying to blend in and staying out of the way. I do remember the sandwich shop in front of the Tower of London and they had a KFC outlet. All the important things.
Tower Bridge as we pulled under it on a boat cruise.

Big Ben and the London Eye thing in the background.

I remember this was HUGE. Like those railings are at waist height.

The London Museum was one of the coolest in the world, with the most Egypt stuff outside of Egypt.
The inside of the Museum:

The Roseatta Stone:

The London Zoo! I can still remember certain animals there. Funny as I can't remember a thing about the Berlin Zoo. They let the little monkeys out of the cage to walk around:

There was a family there just hanging around. I stayed for a very long time, I thought that was so cool.
On Sundays the West End doesn't have any shows for some silly reason so I had a night free and walked around and took some night photography, like this pedestrian bridge.

Then I realized I was lost in the middle of nowhere in the dark with all my money and passport and made this face:

On the last day I found Speaker's Corner. I remember I got there late and everyone seemed to be talking about religion.

I ordered this book:


Sweeping romance and steamy sex are the daily activities for the hunky passengers of the RMS Princess Diana, as they set sail on a rollicking all-gay cruise through the sun-drenched Mediterranean and its stunning ports of call...But this idyllic holiday abruptly ends when a calculating psychopath sets in motion a dastardly plan to send the luxurious liner to the bottom of the sea. Soon daring escapes, personal sacrifices, and heart-pounding rescues replace romance and the men of the Diana struggle to survive the sinking ship and each other...

I figured there had to be a novel about a gay cruise to help me relive the experience. I'm not sure about the murder angle but other that calling it "Adam's Cruise: The Novel" this seems good, I guess it has to be about something.

No comments: