Monday, September 17, 2012

Color Him Gay by Victor J. Banis

Color Him Gay: The Further Adventures of The Man from C.A.M.P.Color Him Gay: The Further Adventures of The Man from C.A.M.P. by Victor J. Banis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Better than the first book in the series, The Man From C.A.M.P., but still not quite camp enough for me.

These books, there's lots of fun elements but at times they take themselves too seriously. I would like to see the fun and the camp amped up.

One line: "Even in a city as liberal as San Francisco, it was still illegal for two men to dance together." This really got me. I can't begin to imagine my coming out and late teens and early twenties at this time. So it's nice that these stories of a gay secret agent who fights against the homophobes were written and published pre-Stonewall.

I liked the story more, a blackmail scandal, and the book was more fun the the previous one in the series, which focused too much on explosions, following people with tracking devices so out of date I don't even understand them, and fist-fights. This one had more sex, more camp, more double agents and more setting, taking place in San Francisco in the mid-1960's.

There was a couple of preaching parts about tolerance for homsexuals at the beginning which I didn't like and overall the tone is still a little too serious.

View all my reviews

No comments: