Monday, September 3, 2012

I'm selling a book!

The Heart in Exile by Rodney Garland is available for purchase on the Amazon Kindle store, you can get it here

I've been working on publishing a few gay themed books for the Kindle lately and I had in the back of my mind that it would be nice if these books could find a wider audience.

There is so many questions around copyright, what is in the public domain and legal for me to distribute, that I never really bothered.

I found this great article, How do I find out whether the book is in the public domain? In the United States, copyright keeps getting extended due to Walt Disney, but in other countries the copyright expires 50 years after the death of the author.

Rodney Garland's real name is Adam De Hegedus and he died in 1958. As this work was not created in the United States and the author has been dead for more than 50 years, his work entered the Canadian public domain in 2009.  Amazon lets you publish works in the public domain providing you're the first to do so, which I was.  So I set the permissions to only be available for purchase in countries where the copyright is life +50 years and I am now selling the book on Amazon. 

The status is right now at "publishing" and it says the book will be available within the next 12 hours, ASIN # B0095IRZHY.

If this works out, I'll try another Garland book.  There's so few that fall into these narrow requirements....

I tried first submitting the book to Project Gutenberg Canada but their requirements for submission are beyond belief.  We're talking days of work to get the book to their standards.   I have no idea how they get any submissions.  We're talking putting the page numbers back in, noting how each page ends, whether with a period or the continuation of the paragraph, entering HTML code for Italics and bold, removing line indents, inserting line breaks after 70 characters, changing Em-dash's to --, etc.

No comments: