Monday, September 9, 2013

The German by Lee Thomas

The German by Lee Thomas
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this book more than I’ve loved any book in a while. I highly recommend it and Lee Thomas is definitely on my authors to watch list.

The book is an original story that is extremely well written, I found myself wondering how Thomas wasn’t more well known. He earned a well-deserved LAMBDA award nomination for this novel so I suppose he’s getting there. The book reminded me of two other stores, at first for the slightly creepy narration and possibility of something supernatural I was reminded of Skin Lane. After finishing the book I was reminded of To Kill a Mockingbird, a similar tale of prejudice in the South with a young narrator.

I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book, which I suppose put me off reading it for a while. The author had won the Bram Stoker award, was this a horror book? It was nominated for the LAMBDA for science-fiction. On Goodreads it was classified as M/M Romance, so what the heck was I going to get?

I’m glad I picked it up on spec. There’s no horror, there’s a touch of supernatural but a very light touch and it’s right at the end. There’s no romance. It feels to me just a fiction book, a well written tale of a loner in WW2 Texas and the lengths people will go to to protect themselves from the unknown. I would say Thriller or Suspense possibly.

The author’s setting and characterizations are fantastic, the book is well written and it all comes together quite well with a satisfying twist I didn’t see coming. This book is really a keeper, great job Lee Thomas!

View all my reviews

No comments: