Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The House on Brooke Street by Neil Bartlett

The House on Brooke Street by Neil Bartlett
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

2.5 stars perhaps?

Again, after reading the fantastic Skin Lane, I wanted to read everything by Neil Bartlett. This often proves a bad idea.

A little more coherent than Ready to Catch Him Should He Fall but the plots no better, and a little more coherent does not mean coherent.

The same story of the same day is told five times by the same man as a soliloquy and you're supposed to figure out which one is true and how Rock Hudson fits in. I found at the end I didn't really care. There were brief glimpses of gay life whenever the book was supposed to be set (1920? 1950? It changes) but these were not the main points.

Too abstract, too flighty, too confusing.

View all my reviews

No comments: