Monday, September 23, 2013

Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan

Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I really liked this book.
I feel it offered something to the new generation of gay men while at the same time showing them the past. I had put of reading this for a little while as the concept of a book being narrated by a Greek chorus seemed overworked and clichéd but I found it worked remarkably well. There's a few separate stories here, they all build to a crescendo that had me flipping pages like crazy at the end.

The book is well done, telling timeless tales of parent's disappointment, parent's support, and the power of will and love. There's great morals along the way from the voice of the experienced:

"Freedom isn't just about voting and marrying and kissing on the street, although all of these things are important. Freedom is also about what you will allow yourself to do."

I found myself wanting to grow up in this "two boys kissing" world, while at the same time realizing how much further there is still to go.

View all my reviews

No comments: