Friday, November 30, 2012

Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?: Confessions of a Gay Dad by Dan Bucatinsky

Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?: Confessions of a Gay DadDoes This Baby Make Me Look Straight?: Confessions of a Gay Dad by Dan Bucatinsky
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I liked this book, a lot.

This book takes the Dan Savage book concept and really takes it to the next level. There was a lot of analysis about having a child, how that changes your life, and all from a really gay perspective.

The best thing about this book is that it gets to the deeper issues. One example is having a straight boy for a child when you were picked on in high school by straight boys. The book really looks at all the aspects of being a gay male parent and there were several laugh out loud funny moments I would read to friends.

I took off one star as there's this thing parents do where they talk about kid's bodily functions and laugh it off like it's the joke of the year while everyone who is not a parent recoils in terror. I am not a parent. The book STARTS with one of these stories, on page one. I was recoiling in terror. Glad I stuck with it though.

EDIT: Oh, yes. Forgot to mention.  The book made me cry.

View all my reviews

No comments: