Monday, March 4, 2013

You Can Run: Gay, Glam, and Gritty Travels in South America by Jesse Archer

You Can Run: Gay, Glam, and Gritty Travels in South America by Jesse Archer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I liked it, I didn't love it.

I picked this up for the blurb by Josh Kilmer-Purcell on the cover.

This book promised hilarious and didn't really deliver. There were some amusing stories by the author. Part of what I liked about it was the South America part, I have no real idea of day to day life there and no real intention to visit, so that was interesting.

Some of the less good parts were the drug use, which was very casual, and the vanity of the author. There were moments where he had an emotional connection, but far more where he relied on his youth and looks.

Overall I don't know that the author comes off that well, and this is from his point of view, so was it worse in real life? When we treated his boyfriend badly and then ripped his favourite Casper shirt, I was kind of glad I don't know him personally.

I get that we all do drugs and are a little self-absorbed when young, but I don't really need to relive that.

View all my reviews

No comments: