Friday, May 23, 2008

Day 9: Museum

Well, just now posting for yesterday as no internet AGAIN! Also I may be done for today as I'm TIRED!
I thought all the clocks in Berlin were wrong all day, and then realized my watch does not keep time. At least it looks pretty. I plan to get a new battery in Toronto, hopefully that will fix it.
I want to the DDR Museum yesterday, the museum of daily life in Berlin. Here's American jeans on the left and Communist jeans on the right:

Afterwards my feet were already tired as it took me forever to find the place so I sat on a boat for a cruise tour for an hour:

The commentary was all in German, but the sights were great:

I loved this shot. The sign says "Fuck Yuppies" and I was trying to get a picture of the old ladies looking at the map behind it but this guy walked up.

This was a huge 30 metre high aquarium and a glass elevator inside that takes you up so you can see the fish:

It was all part of the Aqua something place I went to, which helps conserve wildlife and has a bunch of tanks and animals and stuff. Like this devil ray:

Next up came a trip to the Berlin Cathedral which I happened to be walking past. It was a bit glamorous:

On the inside too:


It was the nicest church I've ever been in my whole life. It was stunning. Huge. Beautiful. To top it all off they let you walk to the top where there is a view of the whole city from the outside balcony that goes all the way around the dome:


This park, I sat in this park for a little while and read a book. There is nothing to eat on the whole of Museum Island and I found a curry place that sells fries. I get the fries, get to the park, and what I thought was curry powder was chili powder which I had covered my fries in. My lips were burning for about an hour and a half.
The church couldn't have been better. Well, the 269 steps weren't that great. But it was worth it. The dome roof was destroyed, along with most of the rest of Berlin, in the 2nd World War and the souvenir book shows the roof caved in.
The basement of the church was full of caskets from the 1500-1600's. Kings of Germany were buried there. I like this one, with the statue of the wife crying as the kid flies a kite. This was at the base of one of the coffins.

Next was the Egyptian Museum:

This was not the full collection as the original museum was bombed as well and they're only now fixing it. It ended up in Russian hands, and then there was arguments about which building was the ORIGINAL museum from like hundreds of years ago. Anyway, it won't be completed until the end of 2009. But they did have the bust of Nefertiti:

And this piece of an Egyptian palace, which was also bombed in the war, this is after the restoration:

Damn those Allies!
I thought this statue was cute:

It turns out Thursday night in Berlin is free museum night so I got to go to three more museums for free. This was cool too:

Ciao!

No comments: