Saturday, April 28, 2012

Coventry by Helen Humphreys

CoventryCoventry by Helen Humphreys
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A good solid, satisfying read, though very quick.

I had never really put together the Hell of war from the perceptive told here, the English being bombed by the Germans. This was really brought to life in the book and is something I had never considered so I enjoyed having that insight.

I had seen the show 1940's house so I knew about the Anderson shelter, but I was surprised at the devastation the bombings brought and how quickly life could be snuffed out, a house or street destroyed.

While I did connect with the events unfolding, I didn't really connect with any of the characters, I sometimes had trouble telling the two women apart even, and as the book is all about one night, it's over very fast. I did enjoy it.

View all my reviews

No comments: