Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Signed: The Triumph of Miss Chief by Kent Monkman

I was first introduced to the art of Kent Monkman in September 2010 while I was in Victoria, BC. His art blew my mind, it is so vivid and coulourful and bright and loud and gay.  I loved every second I was there, I just stared at the paintings trying to drink in all the details.

I was fortunate enough to be able to meet him at Nuit Blanche 2010 and have him sign his book, the exhibition catalogue for the art installation in saw in Victoria.

When I was in Victoria, I was poor and at the end of my vacation and money.  The book was $60 and I really didn't have it.  The gallery had three copies.  I went back to my hotel that night and looked on the internet, figuring I would buy the book there when I got home.  The book was $400!  The next day I went back to the Victoria Gallery and purchased the book. 

Today, an unsigned copy of this book with someone else's writing all over the title page sells for $521.83. I have a better copy and it's signed.


No comments: