Saturday, April 14, 2012

Girls Fall Down by Maggie Helwig

Girls Fall DownGirls Fall Down by Maggie Helwig
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

An interesting concept and an interesting story that fails in a way to come together in the end.

The story is clear and the writing concise, but in the end the author turns it into a more abstract finish, where one is left to pick out the pieces that can be understood and guess at the others - to assign your own level of meaning with the clues given.

I could see if the writing had been clouded with mystery and symbolism before the end, but it really wasn't. So I'm left with the pieces I can understand, which is a story about girls falling down, a story definitely rooted in my city, Toronto, and elements of a love story with an unlikeable female.

These elements were good and well written, and the parts I understood of why girls fall down was intriguing so I am giving three stars, removing two stars for a narrative concept that may be understood fully only by the author herself, if then.

View all my reviews

No comments: