Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection by Alexander McCall Smith

The Limpopo Academy of Private DetectionThe Limpopo Academy of Private Detection by Alexander McCall Smith
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I agree with the reviews posted on Goodreads, this book marks a return to form for McCall-Smith. It's lovely to step back into life in Botswana once a year with this gifted author. He paints life in Africa as a picture and you step in to it with both feet.

I burned through this book in about 24 hours. The mystery element is not as strong as in some of the other books (though better than a few), but what is great is that I thought I knew where it was going and it went somewhere else. Basically all of Botswana blows up, with three major crises occuring involving Fanwell, The Matron of the Orphan Farm, and even Clovis Anderson, author of the bible on detection.

A great story, a return to form for Smith, a worthy addition.

Africa
Africa Africa
Africa Africa Africa
Africa Africa
Africa

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Francis said...

Alexander McCall Smith brightens up my life every time he published a new novel. I have decided that I want to listen to this one while i am driving. The audio book is being reviewed on May 13 by Elaine Charles on her radio show, The Book Report. I am looking forward to hearing what it sounds like. You can listen to the show on www.bookreportradio.com