Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Internet and phone

Ugh.
I am currently with Primus for phone and internet and I loved them. The speed at my old place on the internet was faster than I ever had with Rogers and for $64.95 a month I got home phone, internet and unlimited long distance. Rogers was charging me $55 a month just for internet and now they have download maximums and you can't torrent files between 4 pm and 2 am which Primus does not have.

Since I have moved here, my speed it incredibly slow, 130 kb/s, twice the speed of dial up. Downloading a tv show takes about a day and a half, which is especially annoying when you don't have cable. I heard back from Primus today that this speed will not ever increase which I don't understand as I live in downtown Toronto.

So now I'm shopping for an ISP. What fun. Both Bell and Rogers are out as they have bandwith limitations and charge a lot of money.

Strangely enough, when you google "ISP Toronto" a list of about 10 come up. The first one is www.acanac.ca. They have no bankdwidth limitations, say they offer the same service as Bell and when you sign up for a 12 month contract they charge $18.95 a month for high speed. Too good to be true? Possibly. With a 30 day money back guarantee I'm willing to give it a try.

If service is good they also offer VOIP, so I could get my phone through the internet with unlimited long distance for $10 a month.

We'll see. It would be easier to just stay with Primus but I suppose the only thing that is certain is that things change.

Fast internet will be nice to have again.

1 comment:

J. said...

It's a systemic problem due to corporate greed: http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4019/135/.

If you want better internet, do something about it: http://saveournet.ca/.