Monday, June 8, 2009

A series of lessons

As I get older, I learn more and more that life is a series of lessons. It gets to be a lot, and there are times, like right now, where I really want to go home and cry and be in bed. Things add up and get stressful.

The lesson I am trying to learn right now is best identified with this story:

"In ancient times, two monks, an old and a young one, were walking together. In this order of monks, any contact with women was strictly forbidden. The two monks came to a stream, swollen by the spring rains.
A beautiful young woman stood on the bank crying her heart out. "Why are you crying?" the old monk asked. She replied that she wanted to go to her father's house to attend her sister's wedding, but that the stream was too high to cross.
"No problem at all," said the old monk, and he picked the young woman up and carried her across the stream. When he sat her down on the other side, she thanked him profusely, and went on her way.
The two monks continued their journey. But the older monk could see that his young companion was becoming more and more disturbed. "What's troubling you, brother?" he asked.
The younger monk exploded in anger. "You know we're not supposed to have anything to do with women, and you picked that woman up and carried her across the stream!"
"I picked her up and set her down," replied the old, wise monk, "You have been carrying her all this way.""


I need to learn to let it go. To digest the situation and move on. And I feel I will continue to be tested until I master this lesson.

No comments: