Friday, October 19, 2007

Cats

I went to see Cats tonight and it is quite honestly the worst musical ever made.
Filled with nonsense like:
"Has the moon lost her memory?
She is smiling alone"
and:
"Reserving our terpsichorean powers
To dance by the light of the Jellicle Moon"
Really the whole thing was a pile of crap that made me want to buy a dog. During the intermission all people could talk about was whether they should leave now or try and stick with it. It's a series of 15 songs, all unrelated, about different cats. Each of these songs is terrible with lyrics that make no sense. Then there's a 15 - 20 minute ballet segment where I fell asleep.
At the very end a cat gets on a podium and sings a song about how to treat cats, with lyrics like:
"With cats, some say one rule is true
Don't speak 'til you are spoken to
Myself I do not hold with that
I say you should ad-dress a cat"
Ugh. I really can't devote a second more to this.
I'm halfway through Lance Bass' book. I had heard that his band Nsync had gotten a lousy contract but you think of show business people and you think "Their lousy is not my lousy!" Turns out their lousy is my lousy. After touring for a year and selling 15 million albums they were only receiving a cash per diem of $35 a day. They had received no extra money on top of this. When they finally refused to work anymore they were presented with a cheque, the money the record company said they earned after 15 million albums, over 300 concerts and t-shirts and merchandising: $25,000. Now that is lousy.
Off to bed, party tomorrow, the movie Rendition on Saturday and I think I might take myself to see Lars and the Real Girl on Sunday.
For my birthday I am going to the John Waters Christmas show, it should be the time of my life.

No comments: