Sunday, August 3, 2008

Boston Day 3

I woke up late this morning at noon figuring nothing would be open and I could sleep in. So on my way to the bus shelter to check my email, I noticed 37,000 people heading to Fenway and sold my ticket to the game. I went yesterday and had a great seat, I figured I didn't need to sit in the bleachers today.
I used the money to go to the elusive Museum of Fine Arts after asking the girl who was behind the counter at the hostel how to get there. She had no idea. Mapquest says it's 1.5 miles away but the directions say, "Walk down Commonwealth. Make a U-Turn. Continue on Commonwealth. Make a U turn. Continue on Bleaker." While after I made my second U-turn I was back at my hostel and nowhere near anything called Bleaker. All part of the nefarious Boston scheme to trick everyone into thinking there's a museum.
So I took the subway to the stop "Museum of Fine Arts" and finally found it. It's brave of them to charge the full $17 price even though they're renovating half of it. Also the museum of fine arts has almost no artwork. I like looking at paintings and pictures and statues. I don't really need to see some old table or another Egyptian mummy. I've been to London. Nothing will compare outside of Egypt.
I found this pot:

Which features nude men 'wrestling'. I was reminded of the scene from the movie 'The Birdcage' where they're eating soup off of bowls with young boys playing 'leap frog'. "And a girl! Does yours have a girl?" Of course all the Greek items with homosexuality on them were destroyed when it went out of fashion. Perhaps by working at the Archives there will be something left for future generations of queers anyway.
This was a statue called 'Venus':

This was a cool painting of the artist's son:

Then I left and went over to the Freedom Trail. My trip was marred by constant rain, hail and thunderstorms but it was still well worth the trip. I walked for over two hours and didn't finish it.
This plaque in the Boston Commons says the land was donated and used to feed cattle which continues today:

But I didn't see any cattle today :(
Here's Paul Revere's grave:

And some people who died in the Boston Massacre. I have no idea what that is so hold on while I wikipedia it. Oh, it's some colonel thing.

The cemetery also had a couple that were on the Mayflower and three men who signed the declaration of Independence:

The old town hall:

Alot of immigrants to Boston were Irish. Apparently there was some slight problem with a potato:


The I got to the New England Holocaust Memorial which was amazing.

It consisted of six columns full of prisoner's numbers and quotes:


One quote that made me cry when I read it:
'Ilse, a childhood friend of mine,
once found a raspberry in the camp
and carried it in her pocket all day
to present to me that night on a leaf.
Imagine a world in which
your entire possession is
one raspberry and
you give it to your friend.'
- Gerde Weissman Klein


The people of Boston also threw some tea in the river:

But the exact spot it happened on is closed until 2009.
Then I went to see the movie American Teen, a documentary about high school kids in 2006, but I use the phrase documentary loosely and then finally I noticed I was right outside of Harvard. So I took a quick walk around the block, hoping for some "Harvard" sign and a chorus of young men singing "Fair Harvard 'tis of thee" and wearing sweater vests but no such luck. I did find this statue of him:

Tomorrow a brisk 7 hour trip to Philly!

No comments: