Saturday, July 28, 2007

Simpsons movie review *NO SPOLIERS*

I've seen the reviews, in Entertainment Weekly, CNN, the star, all positive. I've been hearing about it for months and months. And today I went to see the Simpsons Movie. And honestly it was one of the worst I've ever seen. I asked my friend what he thought of the movie when we left, he said "It was good, it could have been great." And therein lies the problem, no one will ever call this movie great.

The best thing about the Simpsons for me is the ability to watch it, zone out for a while and move on. There were a couple of deeper episodes, like the one with the comet heading for Springfield and the shelter, but they weren't heavy handed. This whole movie felt like an extended episode, from the current season, not the good ones, with all the bad parts of the South Park movie thrown in. Don't read past this point if you want to know NOTHING about the movie, very minor spoilers ahead.

Do we need the cheese? Do we need to have swells of emotion and questions of identity? It was very after school special, none of the jokes stand out in my mind right now as being especially funny. The ads tell it all really. Come explore the depths of Homer and Marge's relationship, which no ones wants to do. See Bart look to Flanders as a father figure questioning his identity - a plot that is resolved with 5 words. It was bad. None of the social commentary from the show. The special guest celebrity they're hyping? Tom Hanks - who cares? Terrible.

No comments: