Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ethan Green Chronicles by Eric Orner

Ethan Green ChroniclesEthan Green Chronicles by Eric Orner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Good, but not great.

I read this after watching the amazing movie. I feel there were elements in the movie that need to be used more in the comic. The comic at times reminds me of Cathy, which I used to read in my teens. This is a grownup gay version, which appeals.

There are several things that really work. The candour, the hat sisters, the cat, all great. The universe is also highly established which is good.

The negative, the whole thing is too busy. Elements such as people sleeping around on Ethan are touched on for one frame of one comic. It moves too fast and while the creator may know the story well enough to move that fast, we don't.

It seems like this strip has stopped which is too bad as I feel it has loads of potential. Something to keep in mind would be to have one idea or focus for each strip. Something like Ethan flies to Montreal and meets a chef who has a boyfriend and is a shady cook and then has a friend fly him to the airport and the friend is silent in the car like she's done this too many times before is really too much for four squares and things get lost along the way.

View all my reviews

No comments: