Thursday, May 10, 2012

Signed: The Meaning of Matthew by Judy Shepard

I met Judy Shepard on January 27, 2010.

I was very humbled to meet her.  I had read the book and heard her brilliant speech at York University and afterward I got to speak to her while she signed my book. 

I was nervous as she mentions in the book the sudden public spotlight over her son's murder and feeling unsettled that all these people felt they knew her, that they knew her son, and that they had any right to comment on events that had transpired. He was her son, he was murdered, and who the hell were all these people?

I understand that but at the same time, I have cried for Matthew Shepard.  Perhaps for the idea of him, but there have been tears.  So I felt I wanted to say something but at the same time be respectful. 

I said that I was glad she had written the book, that now, after reading the book, I was able to think about Matthew without feeling like I was being punched in the stomach.  This was I realize probably along the lines of the strangers she identified in the book, but she just said thank you and I moved on.

I had the book signed to both my mom and I.


No comments: