Sunday, May 27, 2012

Ready To Catch Him Should He FallReady To Catch Him Should He Fall by Neil Bartlett

Ready To Catch Him Should He FallReady To Catch Him Should He Fall by Neil Bartlett
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I am very glad I read Bartlett's Skin Lane first.
That book is one of my favourites. Unfortunately it led me then to this one.

This book seemed to have everything going for it, nameless characters, as in Skin Lane, referred to here as O and Boy. Bartlett's poetic writing style is as always on display. A plot that sounds interesting.

What you find as you get in to the book is that the plot described on the back cover is the entire plot. Two men meet and fall in love at a local pub. Nothing else much really happens.

Bartlett's flowing narrative is on overdrive. It seems in this, his first book, he hadn't yet learned how to reign it in, and there are many times when it just becomes a rambling incoherent mess. These numerous jaunts take away from the already thin plot to the point that several times I found myself falling asleep trying to read the book.

I like the author's strong pro-gay tone, being openly gay and direct about it is never an issue. I totally agree though with another reviewer who said that this book is better to contemplate than to actually read.

View all my reviews

No comments: